Wikipedia survey reveals Indians are most willing to donate


This one's going to make all Indians sit up straight and smile, and rightly so. Popular, free web-based encyclopedia recently concluded their successful, annual fund raising program, and to know their donor base better, conducted a readers survey. In an official blog post on Wikimedia Foundation, Wikipedia results picked from a sample of their reader population has been posted and it has thrown up some eye-opening results. The survey touched several fine aspects of their reader behaviour, and have in the process given them an insight. When asked, if they knew about the non-profit status of Wikipedia - only respondents from Egypt and India replied in the affirmative, with 70 and 61 percent of readers, respectively. On an average, the post stated that 47 percent of their readers did not know about Wiki's non-profit status, and Russia seemed to top this list, with some 64 percent readers being unaware, followed by Brazil (56 percent) and the United States (56 percent).
COVER
A reader's survey released


Readers were also quizzed on reasons that prompted them to make a donation to Wikipedia. The readers were given options, like:  I felt a small donation would be welcomed, I saw an appeal from Jimmy Wales (Wikipedia founder), I was convinced to do so by Wikipedia reader(s) whom I know personally, I saw an appeal from a Wikipedia editor, I don't edit articles so this is my way of contributing, I was encouraged by a friend or family member, I always donate to nonprofit entities I like/use, I saw an appeal from a user on Facebook, Twitter or another social media site and Other. The image below is just what the results were:
Why would one donate to Wikipedia?
Why would one donate to Wikipedia?


And now for the best part. In order to better understand their donor base, the survey quizzed their readers, as to how many of them are willing to donate, fully knowing that Wikipedia is a non-profit entity, aiming to promote free knowledge worldwide, while staying away from advertisements; some 24 percent of them replied in the affirmative. 42 percent of Wikipedia users in India revealed that they were willing to make donations to Wikipedia, followed by Egypt and the U.S - 33 percent each. Portuguese speakers, too showed an inclination to make donation, with 33 percent replying in the affirmative. All this, while readers from Germany, France and Japan seemed less inclined, with 13, 11 and 15 percent of them, respectively replying in the affirmative. 

Lastly, readers were quizzed on reasons that kept them away from making donations to Wikipedia. Readers were given options like: I can't afford to make a donation, I never donate to charities, I did not know Wikipedia is supported by a nonprofit organization, I think my donation might not be used wisely, I donate my time instead of money, I was never asked or don't know how to donate to the Wikimedia Foundation, It seems that enough people are making donations to keep the projects running, Donations to the Wikimedia Foundation are not tax-deductible where I live, I disagree with Wikipedia's policies and practices and Other. The image below is just what the results were: 
Why would one not donate to Wikipedia?
Why would one not donate to Wikipedia?

No comments